Friday, October 2, 2009

Time for the dentist...

Last week Natalie & Jacob went in for their regular checkups at the dentist. 

It was Natalie's first time getting a cleaning and she did really well.  We prepared her ahead of time and talked about what would happen, and she was so eager about it, mostly grinning through the whole thing.  The dentist said her teeth looked great, very strong and healthy, and that her bite is "perfect" for now.  She was thrilled to receive a pink butterfly toothbrush, SpongeBob toothpaste, and BERRY MINT floss (she is so proud of that one especially!)!

Jacob had been preparing in therapy for a week, with a "trial run" every therapy session.  He was actually excited when we got there and kept saying "Dentist!" or "I want dentist!"  Unfortunately he had to wait a good 20 minutes (they took Natalie right away, for some odd reason) and so he was starting to melt down by the time the hygenist got to him.  He was so brave with her, and the hygenist was visibly impressed with how prepared he was.  She kept asking about his therapy program, and made a copy of the script I brought along. :) 

He was able to get through an actual cleaning for the first time...woohoo!  No fluoride foam though - he was totally disgusted by that.  Although he did try twice to put some on his tongue.  Afterwards the dentist came to examine his teeth and said for sure he has a cavity on one of his front bottom teeth.  She was unsure about a couple spots on his upper molars because he wouldn't open very wide...he was pretty worn out by that point.

So, I brought him back a couple days ago just for the dentist to recheck those two upper spots.  He does need small fillings there.  We're going to go ahead with IV sedation in the other dental office, probably at the end of the month.  There's no way he'd get through three fillings all over his mouth without being terrorized. 

The dentist also noted he has erosion on his back teeth that indicate gastric reflux.  Hmmm.  That would answer a few questions!  So I'm going to make an appointment with his gastroenterologist to follow up...we haven't been there in almost 2 years.

I have an appointment for a consultation in the middle of October, and the first available sedation appointment is currently October 26.  He is sometimes saying "Owie tooth" about his front tooth, though, so I am going to see if I can hurry it along.

No comments: