We've been doing quite a bit of work around the house the past few weeks (more on that in future posts!) and were living on microwaved dinners and fast food. So I've been trying to cook more this week, and to have the kids help me. We've enjoyed some really wonderful recipes - might as well pass 'em along!
First is a recipe for Thyme and Cheese Biscuits (scroll down the page, it's the second recipe down). These are delicious fresh out of the oven...amazing! I made mine in the food processor so it was very quick and easy to do. Natalie enjoyed putting the herbs in (we used dried), smelling them and talking about each one.
Next we tried homemade soft pretzels for the first time! I've been wanting to make these for awhile...Jacob learned to love pretzels and mustard in his preschool class and I've been getting him the frozen ones. I figured maybe one day I can make them from scratch and try to sneak a few healthy things in there! Jacob and Natalie both helped me with these and I can recommend them as a fun thing to do with little ones. It is such a surprise to dip them in their water bath! They were able to brush on the melted butter and sprinkle the salt. And I was amazed at how delicious these are when you pull them out of the oven! Really impressive, and not all that tough to make! If you do make them, I recommend putting down parchment paper on your pans...my pretzels were stuck like glue to my well-buttered sheets. Maybe we did something wrong, but otherwise these pretzels were perfect!
Today I wanted to make something using fruit. I found this recipe for Date Cake. I'm not really a date fan, but I don't mind them in baked goods. I figured that if this got me to eat a bunch of dates and raisins, it couldn't be too bad! Again, Natalie & Jacob were my wonderful helpers. They got a good laugh when Jacob turned the KitchenAid on full power after we put the flour in...everyone got a flour dusting! This was another fun one to do with the kids...soaking the raisins and making/putting on the brown sugar topping were both hits. This is AWESOME and would be great on Thanksgiving...it has a very "fall" taste to it. You could easily add some cinnamon/nutmeg. And it would be great with some whipped cream (maybe CINNAMON whipped cream??) and a cup of coffee.
No comments:
Post a Comment