Has been busy! A couple of big days for Sydney, especially. I had her tested by a speech pathologist and, as suspected, she does have a speech delay. The good news is that it appears to just be a general day and not a longer-term disorder. I was told that our kids would have a 50% chance of speech delays (because Jacob has autism), so this is not a big surprise. I am glad we are catching it early.
She will start some speech therapy in 2-3 weeks...an hour a week for now, and I'll be working with her daily. I also met with the early interventionist from ALTA and she is all set up for speech therapy...plus she'll be getting an evaluation soon from an Occupational Therapist to check for any sensory processing issues (I have a hunch we'll need to do some work in that area too...).
We also hosted Natalie's play group this week...Natalie was sooooo happy to see all her friends again! She's been in this same group practically since she was born, but we had to scale back at the end of last year and hadn't hosted play group here since October. So it was a fun morning and as soon as everyone was out the door she wanted to know when they were coming back!
On Friday we had a visit from Jacob's old IA, Carie. This picture is from her last day working with him in December of 2006. She and her husband had moved out of the area and are here visiting, so she came by to see how Jacob is doing. She was wonderful with him and it was a treat to see her and her new baby boy!
Yesterday my mom, brother, sister, and niece came to visit. My sister Katie had her camera so we actually have some pictures from the day!
My red-headed niece, Ryla, in her jammies. I love how her hair stays sticking up after my sister took the rubber bands out. That little red thing she's playing with is a bouncing top of Jacob's, but she thought it was an ice cream cone... :)

Here's Jacob, cracking up. He's been using his swing bar as a pull-up/monkey bar, and uses the kitchen chair to lift himself high enough to reach it.
Chris being attacked by his girls (Sydney is signing "more" here)...
Sydney showing off the ringlets she gets after a bath...


She will start some speech therapy in 2-3 weeks...an hour a week for now, and I'll be working with her daily. I also met with the early interventionist from ALTA and she is all set up for speech therapy...plus she'll be getting an evaluation soon from an Occupational Therapist to check for any sensory processing issues (I have a hunch we'll need to do some work in that area too...).
We also hosted Natalie's play group this week...Natalie was sooooo happy to see all her friends again! She's been in this same group practically since she was born, but we had to scale back at the end of last year and hadn't hosted play group here since October. So it was a fun morning and as soon as everyone was out the door she wanted to know when they were coming back!
Yesterday my mom, brother, sister, and niece came to visit. My sister Katie had her camera so we actually have some pictures from the day!
My red-headed niece, Ryla, in her jammies. I love how her hair stays sticking up after my sister took the rubber bands out. That little red thing she's playing with is a bouncing top of Jacob's, but she thought it was an ice cream cone... :)
Here's Jacob, cracking up. He's been using his swing bar as a pull-up/monkey bar, and uses the kitchen chair to lift himself high enough to reach it.
Sydney showing off the ringlets she gets after a bath...
Natalie....
By the way, doesn't Natalie look a lot like her Auntie Renee (Chris' sister) in this picture?

My sister's friend, Erica, also came for the visit. She is great with the camera and agreed to try to get some pictures of the four kids together. We had a photo session out front with lots of bubbles, marshmallows, Nerds, a bouncy ball, and adults who were willing to make fools of themselves to try to get all four of them to smile...or at least not get up and run away while Erica was taking pictures! I'll post some of those once Erica has had a chance to forward them. Thanks, Erica!
No comments:
Post a Comment