Monday, September 7, 2009

Baked Apple Treats

Natalie and I made an old favorite for breakfast this morning: Baked Apple Treats. I used to make these very often, then misplaced the recipe and couldn't find another version online. It is very similar to recipes for "French Breakfast Puffs" except this one has grated apples in it.

I like to use whole wheat flour...they are not quite as "melt in your mouth" as with white flour, but they do sustain you for longer!

Either way.....YUMMMM!

BAKED APPLE TREATS
1 1/2 c sifted flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c plus 1/3 c sugar
1/3 c shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c milk
1 c grated apple
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c melted margarine

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and 1/2 cup sugar into bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Mix egg, milk, and apple in bowl. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes, until golden brown.

Roll warm treats in melted margarine, then in a cinnamon - sugar mixture.

No comments: