Thursday, September 17, 2009

The great arm mystery...

Yesterday Sydney woke up from her nap crying. Our babysitter Erin was here with her and tried to get her calmed down, but Sydney apparently was really fussy - unusual for her. Erin realized that Sydney wasn't lifting her right arm up and thought that maybe she had hurt it while she had been in her crib. She couldn't get her to hold it up for anything, not even to get her sippy cup (that's saying something).

I got home from running errands and Sydney was still holding her right arm by her side. If she tried to move it a little she would wimper in pain and then start fussing. I wasn't sure if it was her shoulder or her wrist, but Erin thought it was her shoulder area.

I decided to call the doctor to see what we should do...there wasn't any bruising or swelling so I wasn't sure if I needed to bring her in right away or not. While I was on the phone, Sydney was sitting on the floor next to me. She sort of leaned a little to the right and then I guess she couldn't even put her hand out to support her weight. Instead she fell over right on to her face...and then really cried, seemingly from pain.

The weird thing is that after she fell over and then stopped crying, she started using the arm normally and didn't make another peep about being uncomfortable.

Isn't that weird? I don't know if she could have dislocated anything and then popped it back in? Or I was thinking maybe her arm had fallen asleep? I did a little research online and am wondering if it was "nursemaid's elbow."

I'm glad she is feeling better, but it was really strange!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As I was reading I was thinking it had fallan asleep...and she had that strange tingling that is why she might be whimper when she moved it. I always think the thingling is painful.