Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Prayers answered!

The past two nights Jacob has woken up screaming and saying "Owie ear!!!!" He had his hand on his right ear and was just obviously miserable. I got him to take some tylenol and that helped, and during the day he hasn't complained. But I have seen him tugging at his ear.

So today I took him in to get it checked. I didn't think he had an ear infection because I didn't see any other symptoms...I was more concerned that he had injured his ear since he tends to stick his fingers deep down in them. But no...it really was an ear infection. I am so glad we got it checked!

The problem is that he has, for his whole life, been incredibly difficult to give medication to. It has gotten better in the past few months and he now will take a few different chewable medicines, which is incredible progress. So today when the doctor asked me about what medicine we should use (he knows Jacob has some major issues to deal with in this area!), he was shocked when I asked if we could try a chewable this time!

So we got the medicine from the pharmacy and once I smelled it I had very low hopes he'd actually take it. At least not more than once. He has a medicine program in therapy and so this afternoon we gave it a shot. We put out 1/3 of a tablet, and a big piece of kit kat. He chose to eat it immediately. No hesitation. I was shocked! But then we gave him the other 2/3 and the rest of the kit kat and he downed that too. He made a disgusted face like the medicine didn't taste good, but he never said "no" or hesitated to eat it. I was so amazed at his progress and proud and happy all at the same time, I was in tears! He has come SO far.

Then tonight we had to get another dose down him. PLUS I also had the regular melatonin/zyrtec combo I give him each night. And because his ear has been hurting a lot at night, I wanted to give him some tylenol...and his dosage of the chewables is FIVE tablets...a lot to take in itself. I thought the chances of getting this all down him were about 10%.

No problem with the melatonin/zyrtec. So then we had him eat a little dinner and then I gave the foul-smelling antibiotic chewables a shot. I broke it into two halves this time, and told him he could have four chocolate kisses if he took them. He barely hesitated, just popped them both in his mouth. He again made a disgusted expression, then unwrapped all four kisses and put them all in his mouth at once too! LOL!

WOW...2/3 down!!! I almost didn't even try the tylenol right away because I figured we were way ahead already. But my respite worker was here and she was so excited she wanted to see if we could get the tylenol in too. So she went over to him with all five tablets, and told him he could have marshmallows or m&ms if he took them. We were going to do them one at a time and give him treats after each one. BUT...get this...he took all five tylenol from her hand and put them in his mouth at once. It was a pretty big amount!!! I think she and I both sat there for a few seconds with our jaws down in shock! Needless to say, he got m&ms AND marshmallows!

I can't believe what I saw tonight...it is so surreal in a way, because he's worked on medicine for SOO, so, so long and it has been such a tough road. To see him do it so easily now gives me great hope for him in many other areas. He makes me so proud. :) It gave me goosebumps after he took all of that!!!

No comments: