Thursday, February 17, 2011

Got Tantrums?

This one is from Jan 31. We have all been sick with colds, ear infections, etc, since mid-January. At the end of the month I was having serious trouble breathing with my cold and went into the doctor. Turns out I have asthma, induced by the cold. For several days I had a couple very bad asthma attacks a day until I got it under better control.

On the night of the 30th, Jacob was feeling very cooped up (having been sick and without school or therapy) and was just on edge and needing a lot of attention. Unfortunately one of the times he needed me, I was in the midst of an asthma attack. I had to leave him on his own. I was in the bathroom trying to breath, and I could hear him throwing things in his room, but there wasn't much I could do at the moment.

When I finally got settled, I checked in his room and found this. This picture is from the next day...I tried to have him clean up a bit with me but I was still not breathing well and it was way too much effort for me, so he got off without much cleanup unfortunately. The next day I tackled it while he was at school. Sigh.

The good thing is that not so very long ago, this would have been the story of how he had been upset and become aggressive. I might have a story to tell about how he bit Natalie and hit Sydney. But he has done SUCH a great job getting himself back in control, and now at his worst this is what we get...a tantrum where he throws something. But very, very rarely does he raise a hand against anyone. We are so thankful and PROUD of his progress!

No comments: