Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Allergy testing, part 1...

Yesterday I took Jacob in to have his first round of allergy testing. He did something really cute and wonderful when we first walked in the door! There was a little boy about 8 years old sitting in the lobby. He was playing with a gameboy and Jacob walked right up to him, smiling. Jacob leaned down in order to try to get eye contact with the boy (since he was looking down at his game) and said, "HI!" I just about fell over. This is the first time I've ever seen him initiate a hello in public. Not to mention how hard he tried to get eye contact!

So the little boy looks at him and says "hi" back and then quickly returns to his game. Jacob was still grinning at him though and I was a little worried he was going to try to sit on the boy's lap! So I took Jacob by the arm, told him "That was really nice saying hi!" and sat down a couple seats over.

Jacob walked right back to the boy and said "Hey!!" It sounded just like a "hey, how are you doing?" This time he didn't lean over to get eye contact, but did stand right in front of the boy. Again, a HUGE grin on his face. I reinforced him again and then tried to distract him since the boy didn't seem to be in the mood for conversation!
THEN when the nurse called us back, Jacob said hello to a man standing by the door, and then to the receptionist who was standing just inside the office door. I felt like I was walking around with Natalie, miss Social Butterfly! It was amazing.
Right after the first set of shots

Anyway, this post was supposed to be about his allergy test! Thankfully we only got back two positives yesterday...one for weeds, and the other for...CATS. Um, yeah, Natalie got a kitten for her birthday in July. We are going to have to wait for our appointment with the doctor but I am hoping we are not going to have to get rid of the cat. I have no idea how we'd work that out with Natalie.
Jacob was such a trooper, as usual. He was scared, and didn't like all the shots (he was saying, "Owie, owie!" and "Want wash hands!"). But we counted backwards so he'd know how many shots he had to get through (23 total) and he seemed to understand he was just going to have to get through it. The nurse said he did a wonderful job. :)




After the first set of shots, waiting for results.
I could tell he was nervous about why we were just sitting in the exam
room and what was coming next.


The hardest part was that after the second set of shots, we had to wait 20 minutes to read the results. I let him run around in the parking lot while we waited. He was so scared to go back to the exam room, because of course he thought he was getting more shots. He softly cried all the way back to the room, and walked with his head down. But I was so proud of him...I didn't have to force him, I just told him we had to go back and he did.

Just a few minutes left to wait, but he was scared!

He constantly amazes me with his bravery.

No comments: