Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Miguel's Story

Long ago I started reading Kelly's blog about life with her son, Miguel. Miguel is 11 years old and is both blind and autistic. He is one of the cutest little guys I've ever seen, and Kelly is an absolutely amazing mom, dedicated to no end.

Last year, Kelly had to make the agonizing decision to have Miguel placed in a residential facility. Although often sweet and calm, Miguel also had violent outbursts which placed Kelly in danger, especially as he grew older.

Tragically, I found this post from Kelly just after Miguel was admitted to the facility. He nearly died due to GROSS medical negligence. Horrific, to say the least. It strikes terror into any parent's heart to read about what she and her son have gone through.

Over the past 9 months, Kelly has been working on justice for Miguel. If anyone can move mountains, she can! It looks like Miguel's story is getting some attention in his home state of Texas - check out this article from the Houston Chronicle. And keep Kelly and Miguel in your prayers.

1 comment:

Kel and Migs said...

Heeey Tamie!!!

I try to post on your blog from my BB and it never processes, but it does on Judith's blog. That upsets me! The family looks great! I love the pic of Jacob holding the heart curled up on the blanket, it's priceless.

Thanks for posting the article, the more dissemination, the better I say! He was on the front page of the San Antonio Express on 2/9 and the front page of the Houston Chronicle 2/10. I posted the Chronicle one today and you can see there is a more political spin on the Chronicle article along with more intelligent comments, than that on the San Antonio Express.

After I saw you and Jacob in the paper, I figured I needed to be in the paper, too! :) I really couldn't have done any of this without the advocacy of my State Representative, Scott Hochberg. He has been relentless and adamant about it not getting swept under the rug. The sad part is, how many others have gone unnoticed and uncared for b/c they didn't have a political force behind them?

It breaks my heart to think that this could happen to any resident without any exposure or acknowledgement to the numerous systematic flaws.

Sad, sad stuff. Hopefully, Miguel can be a driving force in this area and make an effective impact on the system for others.

Thanks for being such a good mother and advocate!

Hugs,
Kelly