Jacob has done some great things this past week, just wanted to share!
- He has started asking one of his peers at school to take some of his reinforcer breaks with him. Sometimes they walk around the playground together, and other times they go to the OT room and use the swing. Last Friday his aide said they were so cute, pushing each other on the swing and laughing...having a genuinely good time together.
- I am really pushing him to use full sentences (or something close to them) when requesting things and I'm starting to see a difference. At 4:30 this morning, he said to me "I want more Nutella with spoon, please." What I'm used to is just him saying "Nutella?" or maybe "Nutella on spoon?" if I'm lucky. And this was in the middle of the night!
- He tried a tiny piece of TURKEY LUNCHMEAT last week...yeah, read that again, it's TRUE!!! No gagging or anything. That one had tears in my eyes. And yesterday his stomach was hurting (more reflux, I think) and he took a chewable Pepto Bismol, also for the first time. I couldn't believe it because he was hunched over in discomfort and that's when it's next to impossible to get him to eat ANYTHING, let alone a strange pink pill. But he just looked at it for a second or two, and then downed it. And I think he felt much better later so I'm hoping it made sense to him...take medicine, feel better!
This doesn't surprise me too much, but his teacher got a kick out of it. She found out how much Jacob loves bacon and so she brought some in to class for him. He was working for it in the afternoon, I believe, and when one of the class aides gave him 3 pieces, he said, "How about five?" They thought that was pretty funny. And cute. :)
- He has started asking one of his peers at school to take some of his reinforcer breaks with him. Sometimes they walk around the playground together, and other times they go to the OT room and use the swing. Last Friday his aide said they were so cute, pushing each other on the swing and laughing...having a genuinely good time together.
- I am really pushing him to use full sentences (or something close to them) when requesting things and I'm starting to see a difference. At 4:30 this morning, he said to me "I want more Nutella with spoon, please." What I'm used to is just him saying "Nutella?" or maybe "Nutella on spoon?" if I'm lucky. And this was in the middle of the night!
- He tried a tiny piece of TURKEY LUNCHMEAT last week...yeah, read that again, it's TRUE!!! No gagging or anything. That one had tears in my eyes. And yesterday his stomach was hurting (more reflux, I think) and he took a chewable Pepto Bismol, also for the first time. I couldn't believe it because he was hunched over in discomfort and that's when it's next to impossible to get him to eat ANYTHING, let alone a strange pink pill. But he just looked at it for a second or two, and then downed it. And I think he felt much better later so I'm hoping it made sense to him...take medicine, feel better!
This doesn't surprise me too much, but his teacher got a kick out of it. She found out how much Jacob loves bacon and so she brought some in to class for him. He was working for it in the afternoon, I believe, and when one of the class aides gave him 3 pieces, he said, "How about five?" They thought that was pretty funny. And cute. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment