Those of you who have worked with Jacob in the past, or have known our family for long, know what a big deal medicine taking is with Jacob. He has spent SO much time in therapy working on the related skills, and I have spent SO much time disguising medicine over the course of his lifetime. Chris and I have prayed a lot for Jacob to finally take medicine on his own. When your child is sick and won't take medicine, life just gets a whole lot more difficult.
I am sooooo excited to report that things are finally changing around here on that front! I am not sure if I have posted about it, but after all these years of work, he has now started taking chewable tylenol...a major, major big deal. In the past two weeks, he has also started taking chewable Pepcid, also a big big deal because several doctors think he has reflux and it must be miserable for him to deal with it without medication.
And TODAY...he took TWO gummy vitamins all on his own (asked for them, in fact!!!). We have tried gummy vitamins in the past but he didn't seem to understand how to chew them and would try to swallow them whole. This led to lots of gagging and choking and even some throwing up. So we dropped it for about a year. Today he asked for one and I held my breath when he popped the first one in his mouth. He chewed it right up and swallowed it. SUCCESS!!!
I can't even explain how wonderful this is! I am beyond proud of all the hard work he has done to get here...you would be amazed if you knew what had gone into this. Thanks to everyone who has helped him along the way. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment