Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Autism Signs??

Check out this story coming out of Jackson, Michigan, about using street signs to warn of autistic children in the neighborhood:

http://www.mlive.com/news/citpat/index.ssf?/base/news-24/1206974121181110.xml&coll=3

I can understand the fears of other parents, obviously. Jacob has run off in our neighborhood before...one time he got all the way around the block and was almost to the main road which is EXTREMELY frightening to say the least. He has also bolted out in parking lots, with cars honking at him. The fear of him running when something catches his eye is with us always when we are outside or in a public place.

But still, I personally wouldn't want to put a big sign out to tell everyone to look out for him!

I'm interested to see what YOU think!

3 comments:

Martha said...

I kinda think I am with you on this one - not sure I would want a sign either. However, for the neighbors we trust and know - we have told them of Zak's autism and left them with our home phone number to put on their fridge. We have asked if they see him out without anyone of his family around that they call us immediantly - or that they come and knock on our door and keep an eye on him till we come out. They seemed more than willing to help us out. I like this approach much better.

I am over here from the blogging for Autism blog roll. It is nice to meet you.

Blessings,
~Martie

Susan said...

I wouldn't want the sign either. Nothing against the mom, but I take lots of precautions with the doors. Even though my boys are "bolters", I haven't had them get out front yet.
My neighbors know already, and they'll bring him home if needed.
As far as encouraging more aware driving, how many people drive the speed limit? Or come to a complete stop at a stop sign? They probably won't change their driving because of an autism sign either.

Casdok said...

Im also with you on this one!