Tonight before Jacob went to bed, he and I were sitting on the couch checking out the Safeway website online.
I was looking at the weekly ad and as I clicked on different items, he would label them. He did pretty good, he even got a cantaloupe right! But the thing that made me laugh in a bittersweet kind of way was that he was reaching out and pretending to take the food off the screen. Then he'd bring his little hand up to his mouth and pretend to chew, saying, "yum, yum" or "yummy!"
Just another sign, I think, that if he could eat all those foods, he would.
So what did he eat today?
- Pop-tart and whipped cream in the can for breakfast. The cream is his reinforcer for eating the pop-tart, believe it or not. We even struggle getting the pop tart in him many days! He used to eat waffles and toast, too, but I think about 4-6 months ago he stopped.
- About 3/4 cup goldfish crackers with cheese melted on top, plus 3 pieces of bacon for lunch. These don't need reinforcers...these are some of the few things he truly loves to eat.
- Sunflower seeds and a couple "sneaky chef" chocolate chip cookies for dinner. The cookies reinforced the seeds, but I was trying to make him think the relatively healthy cookies were a treat item!
That's pretty much it, plus some juice and his Pediasure.
I was looking at the weekly ad and as I clicked on different items, he would label them. He did pretty good, he even got a cantaloupe right! But the thing that made me laugh in a bittersweet kind of way was that he was reaching out and pretending to take the food off the screen. Then he'd bring his little hand up to his mouth and pretend to chew, saying, "yum, yum" or "yummy!"Just another sign, I think, that if he could eat all those foods, he would.
So what did he eat today?
- Pop-tart and whipped cream in the can for breakfast. The cream is his reinforcer for eating the pop-tart, believe it or not. We even struggle getting the pop tart in him many days! He used to eat waffles and toast, too, but I think about 4-6 months ago he stopped.
- About 3/4 cup goldfish crackers with cheese melted on top, plus 3 pieces of bacon for lunch. These don't need reinforcers...these are some of the few things he truly loves to eat.
- Sunflower seeds and a couple "sneaky chef" chocolate chip cookies for dinner. The cookies reinforced the seeds, but I was trying to make him think the relatively healthy cookies were a treat item!
That's pretty much it, plus some juice and his Pediasure.
Tomorrow he has school, and I am going to send a chocolate chip Clif bar...this is one of those items that 90% of the time he won't eat but every now and again he will. I am praying tomorrow is one of the 10% days!!
1 comment:
Yes eating can be a difficult and frustrating area!
Post a Comment