Natalie surprised me with this conversation last night as I was putting her to bed:
Natalie: Mommy, I hate this little bed.
(I was surprised she used the word "hate" because I haven't heard it from her before. I told her that made me very sad to hear because her daddy and I had picked it out especially for her and I thought it was really cute.)
Natalie: I hate Sydney's big bed too. And I hate Charlie.
(Charlie is our dog, and he was sitting right next to her bed).
Me: That's not nice to say, Natalie. Charlie is a very good dog and you're going to make him sad.
Natalie: And I hate YOU.
WHOOOOOA! Slow down there a second! I almost fell off the bed it surprised me so much, especially since she wasn't even angry when we had this conversation. I tried to deal with it very swiftly and sternly...she got left in her dark bedroom by herself, something she HATES.
After a couple minutes she was calling out into the hallway, "Mommy, I'm soooorrryyyy!!!" So I went back in and talked to her about not saying that to me, ETC.
How old is she again???
2 comments:
oh no! I'm so sorry! It sounds like you handled it well...I fear our Sydney may try this one of these days. She's just finished a bout of being very grouchy at mommy in the morning, which included giving me an angry face and taking a swipe at me with her fat little paw. Where do they learn this stuff? All she ever gets is love and kisses around here. sigh.
its always the girls who say I hate you first. But it sounds like you did a great job working through the situation.
Post a Comment