Monday, January 18, 2010

Rainy Monday

Thank goodness everyone in our house has today off...it's rainy and blustery here and the kids are all down with colds. I'm fighting it off too. So far Chris hasn't felt the effects, which is unusual...he usually gets colds so easily!

Last night Jacob gave us a bit of a scare...Chris had gone to Wal-Mart to stock up on cold supplies and also picked up some of the cinnamon thin-strip Gas-X strips Jacob likes. It's rare to find a medicine he likes so when we do, we keep it on hand! Anyway, he apparently got the box out of the bag and then had himself a little Gas-X buffet. I found the open box and a bunch of opened pouches on his floor. Did I mention that I had spent all day painfully trying to get him to take his antibiotic in 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon doses? SIGH. If only they made an antibiotic in cinnamon thin strips, I guess we'd be all set!

When Jacob's pediatrician told us to try Gas-X for his burping/gassy symptoms, he also told me that it is almost impossible to overdose on it. Thank goodness he mentioned that because I didn't have to panic when I found all those empty pouches. I still called the on-call doctor AND poison control to be sure (true...no worries!), but it saved us from a lot of anxiety.

The one side effect seemed to be that he was WIRED in the evening. He woke up around 10:30 pm and was so full of energy he couldn't even sit down. He was running all over and couldn't stay quiet. It had to be the Gas-X! We gave him 3 more mg of Melatonin before he fell asleep (to give you an idea, he usually gets 1-2 mg at bedtime). It took almost 3 hours, so it was a loong night. As Murphy's Law goes, no sooner had he finally fallen asleep then Natalie woke up, coughing and sneezing and having trouble sleeping with her cold. Argh!

One very bright note from this morning. Sydney continues to wow us with her speech improvements. This morning she had a major first. She had just gotten up - I put her on the sofa then went back into her room to retrieve her sippy cup. I heard her yelling, "Mama? Where are you?" My jaw was on the floor. She doesn't really ask questions yet (she is starting to say "What is it?" but that's about it), she doesn't call out for anyone, etc. I couldn't believe it! Then when I was showing her a little Playmobil flower pot, I said, "those are flowers, aren't they nice?" She smiled and said "BEAUTIFUL!" :)

1 comment:

CandaceAnn said...

Soooo happy to hear that Sydney's speech is coming along!