Wednesday, January 7, 2009

FOOD!!!

What an amazing week for Jacob in terms of food!!

As I posted about earlier, in school he almost ate macaroni and cheese, and he did eat a blueberry Nutrigrain bar.

Over the weekend, he started eating frosted mini wheats.

Last night I got him to touch a canned peach to his tongue.

Today he has been eating a lot in general, so during his afternoon therapy session we decided to go with it and see if we could push anything new. I got out some applesauce...he hasn't eaten this for YEARS and during the period when he would eat it, it had to be outside. We got him to easily put his finger in the sauce and swirl it around, and he also fairly easily touched it to his chin. Then I got him to touch his lips with it...tough, and he gagged a tiny bit. But he was willing to do it for reinforcement - with some encouragement So we moved to having him touch it to his tongue. He did it once and gagged, then wouldn't do it again. This was MAJOR progress in just one day. One of his IAS worked months to get him to the point where he would put peach juice on his finger and touch it to his tongue.

The icing on the cake came tonight. He picked up a fish stick from Natalie's plate and walked around with it for about 10 minutes. Then he came up to me and said, "More stick, ketchup?" He had eaten it! So I gave him another and he DOWNED it. Chris and I had to work to keep ourselves from getting woozy with excitement so we could feed him more fish sticks. He ended up eating five of them. FIVE FISH STICKS!!!!

Awesome, amazing, fantastic, wonderful....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!