Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fun indoor activity - The Mountain

I found this suggestion online and tried it out with the kids today - definitely a hit! This is a good idea for rainy days, or when it's too cold (or hot!) to do much running around outside.

- Pile all your pillows and big stuffed animals into a "mountain" in the middle of your living room. My kids enjoyed getting these out of our rooms and assembling the mountain.

- Get your largest sheet(s) and spread them out on top.

- The tough part is securing the sheet. I slipped two corners under the legs of the sofa so that was pretty secure (one side down). The directions I have say to tape down the sheet...I tried that but it didn't work very well once the kids were rolling around on top. Maybe duct tape would work? Any bright ideas out there?? :)


Now let the kids go to town! You can let them do a free-for-all, or try more structure by having them do things like:
- walk over the top
- do forward rolls, or roll side ways
- go backwards
- hop over the top (a tough one!)
- pull up a little step stool and let them jump onto the mountain

Enjoy... :)

No comments: