Okay, Ash Wednesday isn't really a good day for chili! But that's what we had last night to celebrate Chris' birthday - for years it has been one of his favorite meals.
The nice thing for me is that the recipe I use always turns out great and is sooooo easy! It's a basic chili recipe that you can doctor up with anything you like! Also, you can make it quickly by adding less water, or let it simmer on the stove until you're ready for it by adding the full cup and a half of water (last night I added an additional cup while waiting for Chris to get home).
We like ours in a variety of ways...I like to put sour cream and green onions on mine, and eat it with Fritos corn chips. Chris usually puts some extra chili powder or some tobasco sauce in his, and likes it with LOTS of cheese! You can also modify the chili powder amount for your own taste...
Easy Homemade Chili
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (I use whatever kind of canned tomatoes I have on hand and it always turns out!)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
1 1/2 cups water (if you want to eat this right away, start with 1/2 to 1 cup of water)
2 T chili powder
1 pinch garlic powder (you might want more than that!)
salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the beef and onion and saute until meat is browned and onion is tender. Add the stewed tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, beans and water.
Season with the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment