
I realized I haven't really mentioned Natalie's potty training progress here. Since it's a big part of our daily life right now, let me give you an update! ;)
We started with having her use the potty on January 1st. I decided to go with a low pressure approach since I don't really have time to be on her constantly. Plus, I was thinking that she wasn't going to be too difficult to train.
Every time she sits on the potty, she gets a sticker to put on a piece of paper we have on the wall. There is no other reward attached to the stickers, she just loves to get them and put them up. I was going to keep putting a new sheet up, but we've ended up with the same sheet up there for a few weeks now - she likes to just put the stickers on top of each other. I think she likes seeing ALL of them! The stickers we have are either from Winnie the Pooh or Disney Princesses and they all say things like, "Wonderful job" and "Awesome!" So I tell her things like, "Look, this is Piglet saying 'great work!" She gets a kick out of that!
The other reinforcer she gets is a skittle, usually purple, when we have finished up washing her
hands and getting her clothes on. She gets the sticker whether or not she actually goes potty, but the skittle is for actually going. Apparently she loves skittles, because since the first day she sometimes tries to go potty just to get more skittles. I didn't know they were such a favorite with her, but she does find them very motivating! I've asked her if she wants other stuff, but she still wants the skittles!
So where we are now with her is that most days she stays completely dry. She only has a few pairs of underwear (I keep forgetting to get her more!) so there are sometimes where she is in a diaper. Then she's usually a little less vigilent! But she is good about telling me when she needs to go, I rarely prompt her anymore. Every now and then she has a day where she seems distracted and so she'll have a small accident but stop herself and then finish up on the potty. And she only wants to pee on the potty for now.
I spoke with Jacob's clinical supervisor about the whole pooping on the potty thing and she said not even to worry about it until she turns three. So we'll just let her take her time with it for now!
There you have it. Everything you ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about Natalie and the potty. ;)
We started with having her use the potty on January 1st. I decided to go with a low pressure approach since I don't really have time to be on her constantly. Plus, I was thinking that she wasn't going to be too difficult to train.
Every time she sits on the potty, she gets a sticker to put on a piece of paper we have on the wall. There is no other reward attached to the stickers, she just loves to get them and put them up. I was going to keep putting a new sheet up, but we've ended up with the same sheet up there for a few weeks now - she likes to just put the stickers on top of each other. I think she likes seeing ALL of them! The stickers we have are either from Winnie the Pooh or Disney Princesses and they all say things like, "Wonderful job" and "Awesome!" So I tell her things like, "Look, this is Piglet saying 'great work!" She gets a kick out of that!The other reinforcer she gets is a skittle, usually purple, when we have finished up washing her
hands and getting her clothes on. She gets the sticker whether or not she actually goes potty, but the skittle is for actually going. Apparently she loves skittles, because since the first day she sometimes tries to go potty just to get more skittles. I didn't know they were such a favorite with her, but she does find them very motivating! I've asked her if she wants other stuff, but she still wants the skittles!So where we are now with her is that most days she stays completely dry. She only has a few pairs of underwear (I keep forgetting to get her more!) so there are sometimes where she is in a diaper. Then she's usually a little less vigilent! But she is good about telling me when she needs to go, I rarely prompt her anymore. Every now and then she has a day where she seems distracted and so she'll have a small accident but stop herself and then finish up on the potty. And she only wants to pee on the potty for now.
I spoke with Jacob's clinical supervisor about the whole pooping on the potty thing and she said not even to worry about it until she turns three. So we'll just let her take her time with it for now!
There you have it. Everything you ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about Natalie and the potty. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment