Friday, February 8, 2008

Weird!

I was just reading http://getting-ahead.blogspot.com/ and she had a post about doing the following:

Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
Open the book to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.

So I opened Chris' drawer in front of me and grabbed the first book - "Catholic Replies" by James Drummey. I followed the directions and this is what I got:

The key to determining whether serious sin is involved in these matters is whether fasting and abstinence are prescribed or only recommended and whether an individual "substantially" observes these laws. Thus, a person can fail to abstain from meat on a Friday of Lent without committing a serious sin, but that person would sin gravely if he or she totally disregarded the Church's norms during the entire penitential season, assuming of course that the person fully understood the serious nature of the laws on abstinence.

While the Lenten observations are prescribed and "bind gravely" all Catholics, the Friday abstinence from meat is only "especially recommended."

I just think it's kind of weird I got this information considering it's a Friday in Lent and this book is 450 pages of various information on the Catholic faith! Hmmm.

No comments: