Wednesday, February 6, 2008

More on Jacob & eating

So Jacob is really restricting the variety of foods he'll eat right now. He recently has started refusing french fries, fish sticks, PBJ sandwiches, milkshakes, and toast w/butter & jelly. You can occasionally get him to take a bite of one of these, but that's about it. And it doesn't leave a whole lot else for him to eat.

So of course we are pretty concerned! On Monday he barely ate anything...a pop tart, some sunflower seeds, and some fruit roll up. So by dinnertime Chris was really wanting to get some food in him! He tried to get Jacob to eat a Chocolate Brownie Z-Bar (z-bars are Clif bars for kids) and Jacob THREW UP because he got so upset.

Yesterday he did do a little better: pop tart, fruit roll, goldfish crackers with cream cheese (woohoo!), some chips, a few macademia nuts, sunflower seeds, and of course some Pediasure.

I just got some of the Harvest Surprise juice from Juicy Juice (it has carrot juice in it) in grape flavor. It is supposed to have 2 servings of fruits/veggies in each 8 ounces. And I am also going to try a suggestion from one of his IAs. We have tried apple chips before, which he rejected (since he LOVES chips we thought that he might go for the apple chips). He also loves Nutella, so she thought maybe we could get the apple chips in him if we dip them in Nutella. I'm willing to give it a shot! We'll see how these two things go over today...

Please keep him in your prayers...the little guy needs to EAT!!!

UPDATE: No on the apple chips!! We'll try a few more times, though, because he was willing to at least take a bite.

2 comments:

Judith U. said...

Can I just tell you that before we moved to Boston Jac had hardly eaten ANYTHING for almost two years. I thought it was hopeless.

Since moving here I am utterly gobsmacked. He has started eating lots of things .... even meat! He's still not a world class eater, but there is definitely hope.

I am not sure what the secret is other than doing what you already are which is offering him things. I just wanted to let you know that corners can be turned ... Hang in there.

TheFiveDays said...

Ooh, Judith, thank you so much for your post. I'll take all the hope I can get! We have done all kinds of food therapy and are constantly working on it, but he is pretty resistent. I just keep praying that he'll overcome it eventually...until then we should have our own Pediasure factory.